Basic Features (WP-Bakery Included)
WordPress powers more than 39% of the web — a figure that rises every day. Everything from simple websites, to blogs, to complex portals and enterprise websites, and even applications, are built with WordPress.
WordPress combines simplicity for users and publishers with under-the-hood complexity for developers. This makes it flexible while still being easy-to-use. The following is a list of some of the features that come as standard with WordPress; however, there are literally thousands of plugins that extend what WordPress does, so the actual functionality is nearly limitless. You are also free to do whatever you like with the WordPress code, extend it or modify in any way or use it for commercial projects without any licensing fees. That is the beauty of free software, free refers not only to price but also the freedom to have complete control over it.
Here are some of the features that we think that you’ll love.
Simplicity makes it possible for you to get online and get publishing, quickly. Nothing should get in the way of you getting your website up and your content out there. WordPress is built to make that happen.
With WordPress, you can create any type of website you want: a personal blog or website, a photoblog, a business website, a professional portfolio, a government website, a magazine or news website, an online community, even a network of websites. You can make your website beautiful with themes, and extend it with plugins. You can even build your very own application.
- Publish with Ease
If you’ve ever created a document, you’re already a whizz at creating content with WordPress. You can create Posts and Pages, format them easily, insert media, and with the click of a button your content is live and on the web.
- Publishing Tools
WordPress makes it easy for you to manage your content. Create drafts, schedule publication, and look at your post revisions. Make your content public or private, and secure posts and pages with a password.
- User Management
Not everyone requires the same access to your website. Administrators manage the site, editors work with content, authors and contributors write that content, and subscribers have a profile that they can manage. This lets you have a variety of contributors to your website, and let others simply be part of your community.
- Media Management
They say a picture says a thousand words, which is why it’s important for you to be able to quickly and easily upload images and media to WordPress. Drag and drop your media into the uploader to add it to your website. Add alt text and captions, and insert images and galleries into your content. We’ve even added a few image editing tools you can have fun with.
- Full Standards Compliance
Every piece of WordPress generated code is in full compliance with the standards set by the W3C. This means that your website will work in today’s browser, while maintaining forward compatibility with the next generation of browser. Your website is a beautiful thing, now and in the future.
- Easy Theme System
WordPress comes bundled with three default themes, but if they aren’t for you there’s a theme directory with thousands of themes for you to create a beautiful website. None of those to your taste? Upload your own theme with the click of a button. It only takes a few seconds for you to give your website a complete makeover.
- Extend with Plugins
WordPress comes packed with a lot of features for every user. For every feature that’s not in WordPress core, there’s a plugin directory with thousands of plugins. Add complex galleries, social networking, forums, social media widgets, spam protection, calendars, fine-tune controls for search engine optimization, and forms.
- Built-in Comments
Your blog is your home, and comments provide a space for your friends and followers to engage with your content. WordPress’s comment tools give you everything you need to be a forum for discussion and to moderate that discussion.
- Search Engine Optimized
WordPress is optimized for search engines right out of the box. For more fine-grained SEO control, there are plenty of SEO plugins to take care of that for you.
- Use WordPress in Your Language
WordPress is available in more than 70 languages. If you or the person you’re building the website for would prefer to use WordPress in a language other than English, that’s easy to do.
- Easy Installation and Upgrades
WordPress has always been easy to install and upgrade. Plenty of web hosts offer one-click WordPress installers that let you install WordPress with, well, just one click! Or, if you’re happy using an FTP program, you can create a database, upload WordPress using FTP, and run the installer.
Using blog or website software that you aren’t happy with? Running your blog on a hosted service that’s about to shut down? WordPress comes with importers for Blogger, LiveJournal, Movable Type, TypePad, Tumblr, and WordPress. If you’re ready to make the move, we’ve made it easy for you.
- Own Your Data
Hosted services come and go. If you’ve ever used a service that disappeared, you know how traumatic that can be. If you’ve ever seen adverts appear on your website, you’ve probably been pretty annoyed. Using WordPress means no one has access to your content. Own your data, all of it — your website, your content, your data.
WordPress is licensed under the GPL which was created to protect your freedoms. You are free to use WordPress in any way you choose: install it, use it, modify it, distribute it. Software freedom is the foundation that WordPress is built on.
As the most popular open source CMS on the web, WordPress has a vibrant and supportive community. Ask a question on the support forums and get help from a volunteer, attend a WordCamp or Meetup to learn more about WordPress, read blogs posts and tutorials about WordPress. Community is at the heart of WordPress, making it what it is today.
You can be WordPress too! Help to build WordPress, answer questions on the support forums, write documentation, translate WordPress into your language, speak at a WordCamp, write about WordPress on your blog. Whatever your skill, we’d love to have you!
For developers, we’ve got lots of goodies packed under the hood that you can use to extend WordPress in whatever direction takes your fancy.
- Plugin System
The WordPress APIs make it possible for you to create plugins to extend WordPress. WordPress’s extensibility lies in the thousands of hooks at your disposal. Once you’ve created your plugin, we’ve even got a plugin repository for you to host it on.
- Theme System
Create WordPress themes for clients, other WordPress users, or yourself. WordPress provides the extensibility to create themes as simple or as complex as you wish. If you want to give your theme away for free you can give it to users in the theme repository.
- Application Framework
If you want to build an application, WordPress can help with that too. WordPress provides a lot of the features under the hood that your app will need: translations, user management, HTTP requests, databases, URL routing and much, much more. You can also use our REST API to interact with it.
- Custom Content Types
WordPress comes with default content types, but for more flexibility you can add a few lines of code to create your own custom post types, taxonomies, and metadata. Take WordPress in whatever direction you wish.
E-commerce (Shop) Features
WooCommerce is an open-source, completely customizable eCommerce platform for entrepreneurs worldwide. Go beyond the confines of traditional eCommerce solutions, and be limited only by your own imagination.
- Powered by trust: WooCommerce is built on WordPress, the software powering more than 34% of the web. Regularly audited by Sucuri, an industry leader in security, you’re in good hands.
- Content at the core: Working on top of the world’s most popular content management system, WooCommerce seamlessly integrates commerce with content. Everything you need is in one place.
- A modular system: WooCommerce is kept lean so you can add just the options you want. It’s also made to work alongside your favorite WordPress plugins, so you can keep the features you already love.
- Sell anything: From physical products and digital downloads to subscriptions, content and even appointments, you can sell anything with WooCommerce.
- No limits: WooCommerce is an entirely open source, which means you can modify and customize anything and everything. Because you have complete control, you can add unlimited products and users, and take unlimited orders.
- Worldwide community: WooCommerce stores and developers come from all over the world – from Norway to South Africa, from Canada to Japan.
Made for developers
Built by more than 350 contributors from around the globe, WooCommerce has developers at the heart.
- Built on WordPress: The principles that drive WordPress also power WooCommerce, so you already know the basics of developing on our platform. Keep using all the plugins you already love and even use the WP-CLI to manage stores.
- Open development: WooCommerce is a fully open source and managed on GitHub. Contribute to the core software and collaborate with fellow developers to build the future of eCommerce.
- More than 400 official extensions: From payments and shipping to marketing and accounting, we’ve got a wide variety of extensions, all built by developers just like you.
- Tools you already know: Customize WooCommerce with countless actions and filters at your fingertips, custom AJAX endpoints or webhooks.
- REST API: WooCommerce comes with a REST API to manage everything from products to orders.
- Documentation: Every hook, filter, API endpoint, major release and extension is meticulously documented so you have the information you need to make the changes you want.
Create a beautiful store where customers can find what they want
A successful sale starts long before someone clicks “buy.” Create a store as unique as your brand and create a special experience for navigating your products, content and site.
- Countless themes: Pick the theme that works for you. WooCommerce is designed to work seamlessly with themes you know and love, including each year’s default WordPress themes and many popular themes from around the web.
- Unrestricted customization: Edit any part of your site – from the homepage layout to the buy button – to stand out from the crowd.
- Built-in blogging: Publish great content and build a strong brand. Use WooCommerce to integrate eCommerce with the world’s most popular content publishing platform.
- Embed products, checkout and more on any page: Use shortcodes to add your products to blog posts, or create landing pages that go straight to checkout.
- Categories, tags and attributes make products easier to find: Help customers find what they want by adding tags to describe a product. Add attributes like size so customers can search for items most relevant to them.
- Product ratings and reviews: Show customer feedback directly on the product page, including a ‘Verified Owner’ label.
- Customize for your location: Set the currency, language and measurement units (inches, centimeters or anything else) that’s right for you.
- Product sorting and filtering: Let customers sort products by popularity, newness, rating, price or attribute to find the right fit.
- Unlimited images and galleries: Include any number of photos to show off your products. Set a featured image to highlight the best photo site-wide.
- Unlimited products: Add as many products as you want to sell – your only restriction is your inventory.
- Storefront is our free official theme that covers all the basics. Get Storefront
- If you’re looking for something special, pick the flavor of Storefront that’s right for you
- Extend your Storefront-powered store with special features
- Customize your product pages
- Add features to your cart and checkout
- Improve your navigation
Sell any product, any time
A sale is a destination, and your online store is where customers can either abandon things in the aisles or finish strong. With WooCommerce, customers can purchase your products at their convenience.
- Physical, digital, or both: Sell physical products that will ship to a customer, digital products they can download or any combination of the two.
- Affiliate products: Show products available on other sites with an affiliate link for customers to purchase them.
- Unlimited variations: Offer any number of variations (like color, size, fabric and so on) for a product with the option to set prices, stock and images for each variation.
- Import and export products: Add and update product information like name, short description, regular and sale price, and more using a CSV file.
- Built-in payment processing from leading providers: Take payments via Stripe and PayPal. Accept credit cards, Direct Bank Transfer, checks or Cash on Delivery.
- Shipping options: Give customers the option of pickup, local delivery or shipping. Restrict options available based on customer location.
- Shipping rates: Set a flat rate or define specific rates for different products, like extra charges for heavy products. Calculate and show the right rates to customers at checkout.
- Free shipping: Offer free shipping for certain products or certain locations – the choice is yours.
- Geo-location support: Auto-detect your customer’s address to make shipping and tax calculations simpler.
- Tax options: Show taxes based on your customer’s shipping address, billing address or your store’s base address. Automatically calculate major country and state tax rates.
- Create and manage your memberships site
- Take appointments and bookings online
- Sell complex products like subscriptions or appointments
- Add a local payment gateway
- Integrate shipping carriers with your store
- Automate your taxes
Manage orders and customers
Get orders out the door in a timely manner and keep customers updated to spark future purchases and happiness. WooCommerce has a set of features to make this easier all around.
- Customer accounts and guest checkout: Allow customers to register and choose to automatically generate usernames and passwords, or not. Display a returning customer login reminder. Enable guest checkout for those who don’t want to register.
- One-click refunds: Offer pain-free refunds to customers that can be managed directly in your WooCommerce dashboard.
- Inventory management: Track stock levels, hold stock after an order is canceled, get notifications for low and out-of-stock items, hide out-of-stock items and more.
- Order management: Add customer notes, edit stock manually, mark items you shipped, and manage the fulfillment process.
- Email templates: Send notifications to customers at critical stages, e.g., after they make a purchase or when their order is complete.
- Add shop managers: Give your team access to manage orders and view reports without making them an admin.
- Customize your emails and notifications
- Add other features to make fulfillment easier
- Integrate with your accounting solution
Optimize your store to sell more
WooCommerce comes with features to help you connect your audience with the right offer.
- Search Engine Optimization: WooCommerce runs on WordPress, recognized as one of the best platforms for SEO practices.
- Coupons: Give customers coupons for a fixed amount, a percentage off or special offers like free shipping. Offer coupons for their whole cart or certain products.
- Related products: Show related products to help customers find complementary products or encourage them to purchase more.
- Highlight important products throughout your store: Use a widget to showcase top products, a specific category or tag, products on sale, featured products or recently viewed products on any page of your store.
- Reporting: View sales, refunds and coupons over time. See your top products and categories.
- Dashboard: Add sales, orders, and at-a-glance status summary window to your WordPress dashboard to easily see how your store is doing.
- Add social media integrations to your store
- Integrate Google Analytics or other reporting features
- Level up your coupon and promotion options
Get help realizing your vision
WooCommerce is a worldwide community, and we’re here to help you make your online store a reality.
- Documentation: Follow our how-to documentation and friendly video tutorials for WooCommerce and all extensions sold on WooCommerce.com to make your dreams come true.
- WordPress.org Forums: Find answers in the public WordPress.org forums.
- Customization: Use these resources for small tweaks to full-scale redesigns.
- WooExperts: Reach out to these vetted experts who are at-the-ready to offer in-depth consultations and custom design and development for something truly special.
- Ready to get started with the most customizable eCommerce platform for building your online business?
- Build your store now